This application will allow you to visualize and query ESRI Shapefile datasets referenced in the DATA.gov web site.
Start with this tab
to select the Shapefile resource you'd like to view. Please follow the instructions found at the top of the tab.
Shapefile datasets are displayed on the map which starts at a world extent. You can change the basemap between 'Streets' and 'Imagery'.
Maintains a list of the Shapefiles in your map.
Type in your Zip Code to view information about the Districts and Legislators that overlap your Zip Code.
Map navigation using mouse:
- Drag to pan
- SHIFT + Click to recenter
- SHIFT + Drag to zoom in
- SHIFT + CTRL + Drag to zoom out
- Mouse Scroll Forward to zoom in
- Mouse Scroll Backward to zoom out
- Use Arrow keys to pan
- + key to zoom in a level
- - key to zoom out a level
- Double Click to Center and Zoom in
Each Shapefile that is added to the map will have its own pane. The checkbox next to the Zip URL controls the Shapefile visibility.
Zoom to the full extent of Shapefile.
Note: This option is only available if the Shapefile has a valid Spatial Reference.
Click on features in the map to retrieve additional attribute information about the features.
Remove this Shapefile from the map.
A list of all the Shapefile datasets that were inside the Zip file. Also shown is the total number of features in each Shapefile.
Type in your Zip Code and hit the ENTER key.
- When the requested information is available, the 'Districts' and 'Legislators' buttons will become enabled.
- Click on the 'Districts' and 'Legislators' buttons to view additional information.
- In the 'Districts' pane you can additionally center the map over your district by clicking the 'Go To District...' button.
Thank you for trying out this prototype application. We hope you find this application useful for visualizing and querying Shapefile datasets referenced in the DATA.gov site.
If you have any questions or comments please contact us at email@example.com
Please include the words 'Shapefile Viewer' in the email 'Subject' line.
We encountered a problem with this dataset.
Possible issues could be:
- Zip file contains no Shapefiles
- Dataset is too large
- Invalid Zip file folder structure
- Missing projection information
- Corrupt dataset